2017 Lions Coaching Team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Lions Coaching Team

Looking set to be Steve Borthwick, Andy Farrell and Rob Howley.

Any other suggestions who you'd like to see on the team?

And so it comes to pass.

I think Borthwick and Farrell are both justified selections. Not suite so sure about Rob Howley though, Wales seem to have gone backwards a bit in the last year or so. I understand Gregor Townsend turned it down though so who else is there to do it?

Comment

Clearly Gatland wanted Townsend for backs/attack but was turned down. Whilst I don't detest Howley, I wish Gatland had gone slightly outside the box. Mixture of continuity and new faces is fine, but only Borthwick is a new face so far!

Steve Borthwick and Andy Farrell are top appointments though.

Comment

Originally posted by robgio View Post
        Clearly Gatland wanted Townsend for backs/attack but was turned down. Whilst I don't detest Howley, I wish Gatland had gone slightly outside the box. Mixture of continuity and new faces is fine, but only Borthwick is a new face so far!

Steve Borthwick and Andy Farrell are top appointments though.
        What's the argument for Farrell over Edwards? Obviously the recent Irish performance against AB's is noted, but were England really stronger than Wales defensively during Farrell's time in the English job?

Definitely would have liked a different backs coach, Howley hardly inspires me....

Comment

There's talk that Ben Ryan may be invited in the next batch of coaches as a skills coach. That could be quite interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Gar J View Post

What's the argument for Farrell over Edwards? Obviously the recent Irish performance against AB's is noted, but were England really stronger than Wales defensively during Farrell's time in the English job?

Definitely would have liked a different backs coach, Howley hardly inspires me....
            In fairness they're very similar, but I think Farrell brought something to the party in 2013 as evidenced in his "hurt arena" speech. Plus he's now associated with a successful Ireland set up who have beaten the AB's and it would be ludicrous to not tap in to that belief and resource.

Comment

Working...
            X